Ayurveda–The Indian System of Medicine which is derived from root word-Ayush which means life / age / longevity Veda denotes large body of knowledge texts originating in the ancient Indian subcontinent written in oldest layer of Sanskrit and that which provides knowledge.
So when we summarize the words and throw light upon the actual meaning of the word ‘Ayurveda’ it says that it is the Ancient science/literature derived and considered as UPAVEDA(Branch) of Athrava Veda which teaches human being to live his/her life in systematic manner along with maintaining the harmony of body, mind and soul with Mother Nature
Father of Ayurveda-
Lord Dhanvantari is known as the father of Ayurveda, since he was the first divine incarnation to impart its wisdom amongst humans. He first appeared during the great churning of the Cosmic Ocean of milk (Samudra manthan) to deliver amrit (ambrosia, or Divine nectar) to the demigods. The churning of the ocean of milk is a famous episode in the Puranas that represents the spiritual endeavor of a person to achieve Self-realization through concentration of mind, withdrawal of the senses and control of all desires.
It is believed that Ayurveda, as a branch of the Vedas- is a stream of the knowledge passed down from generation to generation since Eternity, much in the same way as Vedic literature and the Vedic scriptures were. As the story goes, the knowledge of Ayurveda was created by Brahma, the Creator, who gave it to Prajapati, who passed it to the Ashwini Kumari (the celestial Twin Physicians), who in turn passed it down to Indra, and so on.
- Lord Brahma
- Daksha Prajapti
- Ashwini Kumars(Surya putras)
- Lord Indra
- Disciples-Agnivesha,Bhela,Jatukarna,Parasara,Harita and Ksharapani
Tripod of ayurveda
Texts which teaches us about proper way of living is explained in form of Shlokas(Verses) having many commentaries, among which the major divisions are as follows-
BRIHATRAYEES(major ayurveda treatises)-
LAGHUTRAYEE(minor ayurveda treatises)-
Aim of Ayurveda
•Ultimate aim of ayurveda is attaintment of the principle objects–Dhrama(virtue), Artha(Wealth),Kama(Desire) and finally Moksha(liberation)
•Best way of knowing and understanding ayurveda in Kaliyuga is by Aditi(reading),Boda(apprehending), Acharna(practicing) and Pracharna(advocating)
Swasthasya swasthya rakshanam aaturasya vikara prashamanam cha!!(Charka.Sutrasthana.30/26)
Swasthasya swasthya rakshanam – To prolong life and promote perfect health (add years to life and life to years )
Aturasya vikara prashamanam cha – To completely eradicate the disease and dysfunction of the body.
Branches of Ayurveda :
1. Kaya chikitsa(general medicine)-treatment of all diseases, which arises due to impaired metabolism
2. Bala chikitisa(paediatrics)-Branch which deals with infancy, childhood and adolescence and their treatment
3. Graha chikitsa(psychiatry)-dianosis and treatment of mental derangements
4. Urdhavanga chikitsa(ophthalmology & otorhino laryngology)-Disease in this branch are dealt which above the neck and confined to Ear, Nose and Throat
5. Salya chikitsa(Surgery)-Diagnosis and management of disease which are to be handled surgically
6. Damstra chikitsa(toxicology)-Clinical toxicology
7. Jarachikitsa(rejuvenating therapy)-Medication to preserve youth, prolong life, strength and immunity
8. Vrsa chikitsa(reproductive medicine)-Treatment emphasizing on infertility(male/female)
TRIDOSHIC CONCEPT OF AYURVEDA
Ayurveda is a science of Self understanding.
By understanding your own unique prakriti(nature) or constitution, you can begin to understand how you interact with your environment and make your body to act accordingly to bring back the normalcy and have a balance between the universe and and your body. The science of understanding our nature or our constitution is the science of Tridosha.
Tridosha defines the three fundamental energies or principles which govern the function of our bodies on the physical and mental level. The three energies are known a vata, pitta, and kapha. Each individual has a unique balance of all three of these energies. Some people will be predominantin one while others are a mixture of two or more. And this trio makes your body to have a healthy or diseased condition.